Sat/Sun 23rd/24th June 2018 – Charcoal – Reserve Your Place
Sat/Sun 30th June/1st July 2018 – Painting – Reserve Your Place
Learn about the fundamentals of realist portrait drawing or painting directly from life.
Working from life is incredibly satisfying but far more demanding than using a photograph so this portrait workshop will make sure that you have a sound technique.
Christopher Clements will guide you through his approach as you learn how draw or paint portraits and use your time effectively. You can choose between working in charcoal or paint depending on your experience.
The workshop is done entirely from a model and will teach you how to make studies and sketches. This ability is great for sketching in charcoal or paint and is invaluable for making studies for larger pieces and commissions.
The group is small and the teaching is tailored to your own experience. Whether you’re a complete beginner or looking to push your work onto the next level you can work at your own pace in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere.
Weekend Portrait Course Outline
If you’re already familiar with portrait painting you might like to try working in colour but if you’re just starting out charcoal is the best way to get learn the drawing skills which underpin good painting. Monochrome painting bridges the gap, once the essential tonal principles have been mastered in charcoal, monochrome painting introduces you to working with paint. Choose one of the following:
Charcoal Drawing – 23rd/24th June 2018 – Book Now
Working in charcoal is a perfect way to learn to draw the head. You’ll find out how to get the proportions, orientation and structure of the head right. It’s a beautiful medium in itself but also provides the best way to understand the essential tonal principles which underpin good representational painting. This is more easily learned without the added complication of a liquid medium.
- Drawing a well structured head
- Getting the correct orientation
- Positioning the features
- Use of light & shade to create chiaroscuro
- Modelling the form using halftones and variations of the darks
Working in monochrome (also known as grisaille) is a bridge between drawing and painting in colour. It’s very well suited to learning to work with paint. You’ll concentrate on good observational drawing with paint but without the added complication of colour. As you develop your painting you will learn how to handle paint as well as various painting mediums. If you’re new to working in oil this is the ideal workshop to get you started. The monochrome workshop serves as an excellent foundation to working in colour.
- Layering a painting
- Use of painting mediums
- Blocking in masses
- Correct Use of Tone
Colour Portrait Painting – Limited & full palette – 30th June/1st July 2018
The colour workshop builds on the tonal lessons learnt in the monochrome workshop. It’s great if you want an introduction to working in colour or want to develop skills you already have. You’ll begin with exercises to develop a good understanding of the relationship between tone and colour. You’ll do this using a limited palette to get to grips with how a colour palette works and the role of each pigment. Once you’re familiar a basic palette you can move onto using the full palette, creating more subtle nuances in your colour mixing.
- Warm and cool colours
- Using colour to give depth to your painting
- Methods to accurately see and mix colour
- Creating interest through varied brushwork
Essential Info & Booking
- 23rd/34th June 2018 – Charcoal drawing workshop – Book Now
- 30th June-1st July 2018 – Colour Painting Workshop – Book Now
- Course Length: 12 Hours over 2 Days
- Hours: 09:45-16:30
- Location: Northern Realist Studio, Manchester – Map
- Materials, Charcoal, Monochrome or Colour Oil Paint (Can be provided) – Use Contact form to request lists
- Price :£130 – Click links above to reserve your place with £40 deposit on Eventbrite
- Questions: Use Contact Form above right or visit the Contact Page Please state which course you’re interested in