30th June/1st July 2018 – Book Now
Learn to paint colour portraits from life using direct painting techniques
This portrait painting workshop with Christopher Clements will introduce you to direct painting, also known as ‘Allaprima’. The method involves painting a portrait in one sitting. It is perfect for making stand alone sketches, studies for studio portraits or simply portrait sketching for your own enjoyment.
Colour Portrait Painting Workshop Overview
The workshop will introduce you to an approach designed to help you develop your work in an organised way while developing your technique. You’ll start by looking at head construction and orientation as well as compositional principles.
As you work towards a finished piece you’ll concentrate on one concept at a time, each building on the previous to help you make informed decisions throughout the process. This provides you with a framework to greatly increase the efficiency of your work and enable you to pace the painting according to the time you have available.
You’ll look at the technicalities of direct oil painting including layering, mediums and brushwork. You’ll also study a limited colour palette, especially how to keep your colour clean and lively. You’ll complete exercises designed to develop a good understanding of the relationship between tone and colour and the role of each pigment.
- How to paint a well structured head with accurately placed features
- Composition and lighting
- Planes of the head and tonal value
- Colour mixing and effective use of a limited palette
- Creating focus through varied brushwork and selective rendering of detail
- Efficient use of time
- Direct oil painting techniques
By the end of the workshop you’ll be familiar with the principles behind direct painting. You’ll know more about using oil paint to work from life, choosing and mixing colour and how to handle paint effectively. You will have developed your observational painting abilities and learnt how to use your time effectively.
The class is limited to 8 students meaning you can work towards your own personal goals whether you’re looking to learn fundamental principles or push your skills from a more advanced position.
- Date: 30th June / 1st July 2018 – Book Now
- Price :£130 – Click links above to reserve your place with £40 deposit on Eventbrite
- Location: Northern Realist Studio, Manchester – Map
- Materials: Colour oil paint
- Course Length: 12 Hours over 2 Days
- Hours: 09:45-16:30
- More info email firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form