23rd/24th June 2018 – Reserve Your Place
Learn to draw a charcoal portrait from life using solid classical drawing principles
Charcoal is a beautiful, expressive medium, perfect for portraiture. It has a wide tonal range and can be creatively manipulated to stunning effect. If your ultimate goal is to paint it serves as an ideal medium to get to grips with the essential principles involved.
Charcoal Portrait Workshop Overview
This workshop with Christopher Clements will introduce you to drawing techniques which will enable you to get your work off on the right foot. You’ll start by looking at head construction and orientation as well as compositional principles.
As you work up a finished portrait drawing up you’ll be introduced to an approach which helps you concentrate on one concept at a time. This provides you with a framework to greatly increase the efficiency of your work and enable you to pace the drawing according to the time you have available.
You’ll look at charcoal itself and how to get the best out of the different types available.
- How to draw a well structured head
- Perspective and orientation
- Positioning of the features and anatomy
- Comparative measurement
- Composition and lighting
- Planes of the head and tonal value
- Creating focus through selective rendering of detail
- Efficient use of time
- Charcoal varieties and techniques
By the end of the workshop you’ll be familiar with drawing concepts which are invaluable in constructing and working up charcoal portrait drawings. You’ll know more about different charcoal types and how to use them effectively at different stages of the drawing. You will have developed your observational drawing abilities and learnt how to pace your work according to the time you have available.
The class is limited to 8 students meaning you can work towards your own personal goals whether you’re looking to learn fundamental principles or push your skills from a more advanced position.
Charcoal Portrait Workshop Booking
- Date: 23rd/34th June 2018 – Book Now
- Price :£130 – Click links above to reserve your place with £40 deposit on Eventbrite
- Location: Northern Realist Studio, Manchester – Map
- Materials, Charcoal,
- Course Length: 12 Hours over 2 Days
- Hours: 09:45-16:30
- More info: email firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form