7th – 28th January 2021 | 18:30 – 21:00 | £120
Study a John Singer Sargent painting in detail and the methods of its production by creating your own Master Copy.
Why Make Master Copies?
Copying master paintings provide three very important benefits:
- Studying a great painting in a way which is otherwise impossible.
- Seeing how a great artist dealt with each aspect of a particular subject.
- Exploring the techniques used to make it in a practical way.
This helps you develop an understanding of paintings while expanding your own working methods. What you learn will open up new possibilities within your personal work.
Once you’ve made a copy of a painting you’ll look at the original with a new found fascination.
As the course progresses, each stage will be demonstrated by Christopher Clements at the start of each session so that you know exactly how to develop your painting.
We will be working from Sargent’s Self Portrait of 1906. You will explore ways to simplify the main elements and then build up successive levels of detail.
You’ll work using a limited palette to keep the colour mixes simple and maintain a sense of unity throughout your copy. It’s not essential, but if you’ve done the Northern Realist Limited Palette Workshop, this is a great opportunity to put it into practice.
What you’ll learn
- How to simplify a complex subject
- ‘Drawing’ with paint
- Layering form and detail
- Colour identification and mixing
Whether you’re looking to learn fundamental principles or brush up existing skills the course will have plenty to offer. There are only 8 places, giving you plenty of attention and feedback.
How The Course Works & What You’ll Need
The workshop will be done using Zoom, you will be emailed a reference image and an invitation to the sessions after booking.
Bookings are made by paying a deposit via Eventbrite, you will then be invoiced for the remaining balance.
You’ll need an internet connection and webcam and the following materials:
- One piece of primed canvas or canvas paper
- A range of hog bristle painting brushes
- 1 House painting brush
- Turpentine, Odourless Mineral Spirits, Sansodor, Zest it or similar
- Cold Pressed Linseed Oil
- Painting Palette
- Dipping Cup
- Titanium White Oil Paint
- Ivory Black or Blue Black Oil Paint
- Yellow Ochre Oil Paint
- Cadmium Red or Cadmium Red Hue Oil Paint
- Rags and Kitchen Roll
Essential Info & Booking
- Price :£120
- Date: Thursdays 7th – 28th January 2021
- Time: 18:30-21:00
- Location: Online via Zoom
- Questions: Use Contact Form above right or visit the Contact Page or email email@example.com