Saturdays: 26th May – 9th June 2018 Reserve your place on Eventbrite
This course will show you how to develop a portrait over multiple sessions and understand the difference between working from life and photographs.
Whether you’re new to portraiture or want to build on existing skills, the course will push your observational drawing or painting abilities. Over the 3 sessions Christopher will teach you how to build up a portrait, working in graphite, charcoal or paint, depending on your experience and what you’re comfortable with.
The course is designed to help you bridge the gap between working from life and photos so that you can get the best from both worlds. You’ll work alternately between a model and a photo taken from your position, teaching you how to interpret photos and putting you in creative control.
Christopher’s approach is based in the classical atelier tradition. It will provide you with a well structured method of drawing and painting. The approach teaches you how to set the parameters of each stage of your work, be it proportion, tonal value or edge quality. This allows you to make informed decisions about each aspect of the piece, encouraging intuition while reducing guesswork.
You’ll cover essential areas including:
- Gesture and proportion
- Light and shadow (Chiaroscuro)
- Correct use of halftones to create form
- Rendering of small forms and texture
The group is kept small to allow for plenty of individual attention. This lets you work at your own pace and level within the group. The course requires a lot of attention but the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed. Beginner students start with graphite or charcoal, progressing onto monochrome and colour paint on subsequent courses. As with all Northern Realist courses, the focus is on using traditional methods to push your personal vision rather than technique for techniques sake. The courses are logically structured but not dogmatic.
Essential Info & Booking
- Dates: Saturdays, 26th May – 9th June 2018
- Course Length: 18 Hours over 3 Saturdays
- Hours: 09:45-16:30
- Location: Northern Realist Studio, Manchester – Map
- Materials, Charcoal, Monochrome or Colour Oil Paint (Can be provided) – Use Contact form to request lists
- Price :£195, £10 Early-Bird Discount for first 3 bookings/Previous Student Discount
- Booking: Reserve your place on Eventbrite