Thursday Evenings: 15th November – 6th December Book Now
Learn to create form in your drawings using chiaroscuro and tonal value.
Chiaroscuro involves contrasting light and shadow to create a strong design. Not only will this give your work drama, it also provides a framework to render the different value families of shadow, light and mid-tone. This forms the basis for realist painting and is essential knowledge if you want to render form and keep your work looking clean and unified.
Using charcoal in this manner is a traditional method used to teach painting concepts without the added complication of handling paint. If you want to paint the figure understanding tone is essential and this workshop with Christopher Clements will teach you all about the foundations you’ll need.
The workshop Starts out with the flow through and gesture lines technique covered in the Life Drawing Fundamentals 1 workshop. You will then look at light and shadow design as well as half tone to represent the main forms of the figure. This gives you a context to render the smaller forms and finally the texture and detail. you’ll cover:
- Gesture, structure and proportion
- Blocking in light and shadow using chiaroscuro
- How to use tonal value families to represent form
- Techniques for using a mid tone background
- Throughout the course you’ll work with different length poses to get practice using the principles covered. You’ll also try various drawing exercises designed to improve your observational drawing.
Throughout the course you’ll work with different length poses to get practice using the principles covered. You’ll also try various drawing exercises designed to improve your observational drawing. By the end of the course you will have learned an approach which will help you to represent form and keep your work looking clean and unified.
This course is particularly suitable if you are just starting out or want to improve the foundation of your work. Life drawing Fundamentals 1 is very useful but not essential to do first.
Essential info & Booking
- Dates: 15th November – 6th December 2018 Book Now
- Price: £150
- Course Length: 4 Evenings
- Hours: 18:30 – 21:30
- Location: Northern Realist Studio
- Materials: Charcoal (Use contact form to request list)